Friday, March 5, 2010

I Don't Need It



I always hate it when people get into the "check out my scar" showdown. Truthfully, I love to hear about how people get thier healed wounds, but I feel silly at the thought of participating in the conversation. Mainly, all of my scars.. though they look cool and hardcore, the stories behind them are nothing of the sort. I have Lame scars.

One, I tripped on a garbage bag.... that I was carrying.. and got sliced by some glass. Another, I was walking up hill in the woods and half-tripped on a fallen branch that spun and caught me in the back of the ankle. I gave my thumb a good mark by not cutting my fingernails soon enough. And my all-too-awesome motorcycle burn (which is almost invisible) was acquired while giving my good friend, who was on the motorcycle, a welocome hug.
I call these useless scars. Scars that have little meaning but the rememberance of how lame my life can be.

In the same way there are those rare but ever deep Useless heart scars. Those instances in which, after the fact, you realize you're still being daily reminded of a day that is just plain painful to think of and/or angering to associate with. Catch my drift?
Seeing thier face; hearing that song; finding that star; wearing that shirt; walking that road;.... all heart-scars.

Now don't get me wrong. Not all heart-scar are bad.. or useless.
When I say useless, I'm talking about the ones that make you remember something that shouldn't have ever happened. Or the ones that make you remember something you loved, but is gone and never again attainable. Those scars.

And what about those scars that seem to multiply.. or do they just break open everytime. Those mistakes and sins that you never seem to be able to put out for good. Every time it happens again, the pain goes deeper because every time it breaks, it tears wider, making it harder for it to heal back up again.

It's like fresh blood from an old wound, that was scarred up, but broken anew.
If we only had the power to make the stars fall from the sky, the power to put do death what ought to be dead to us already... I guarentee there would be a few less-painful hearts out there.

Thank God for a Love and set of scars that brought us to the peace of relying on Him in times of pain and despair.

from "Droplets" by Colbie Caillat & Jason Reeves

"You left a mark.
I wear it proudly on my chest above my heart,
to remind me that I feel the best when I'm with you.
Everything is effortless, you know it's true.
My eyes are painted with regret, and I don't need it.
...
You are like the raindrops, the raindrops,
falling down on me.
You left a mark.
She left a mark,
and I don't need it."

No comments:

Post a Comment